My child has special needs. What accommodations can or will be provided during driver education?

The Americans with Disabilities Act and Michigan Person with Disability Civil Rights Act apply to driver education programs and services. There is no distinction between public and private schools; they are both required to work with teens with special needs. Students with disabilities who attend driver education may be entitled to accommodations (including appropriate auxiliary aids and services) at no cost, as long as their disabilities do not prevent them from driving safely and unless providing such auxiliary aids or services would fundamentally alter the nature of the program or result in an undue burden. The Michigan Department of State encourages parents and driver education providers to work together to provide an appropriate accommodation to help meet the need of the student. For additional information, contact the U.S. Department of Justice ADA Information Line at 800-514-0301 (voice); 800-514-0383 (TTY); Or contact the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, 800-482-3604 (voice); 877-878-8464 (TTY).



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.