Department of Natural Resources
WHAT IS THE PROCESS TO BECOME AN INSTRUCTOR?
1. Complete and submit the instructor application in Volunteer Manager at https://michigan.volunteers.kalkomey.com/.
Applicants are required to complete the entire application process within six months of submitting their application, unless an extension has been approved. Applicants shall email RSEES at DNR-LED-RecSafety@michigan.gov to request an application extension and provide justification for the extension. The Recreational Safety, Education, and Enforcement Section (RSEES) Administrator or their designee will review the extension request.
2. Once the completed application is submitted and received, a background investigation will be completed.
3. If the applicant passes the background investigation, an information packet will be mailed to the applicant containing the instructor test, test study materials, and policies and procedures manual. *Hunter, bow, and trapper applicants must also complete the mentor process. See below for details.
4. The applicant shall complete the instructor test and return it in the provided self-addressed stamped envelope. RSEES will grade the instructor test. A minimum score of 90% is required to pass the test. Re-testing is allowed at the option of RSEES Administrator.
5. Once the applicant has passed (and the mentor process has been approved for hunter, bow or trapper only), RSEES will notify the applicant they have successfully completed the process and will be certified as an instructor. RSEES will mail the newly certified instructor their instructor packet and email them their Event Manager (EM) login information.
For hunter, bow and trapper applicants to complete the certification process, they shall seek out a current active certified instructor in the program they are applying for and assist with the instruction of a basic hunter, bow, or trapper education course. The applicant is required to student teach a minimum of one class with the mentor.
The hunter, bow, or trapper applicant will email their chosen mentor's contact information to RSEES at DNR-LED-RecSafety@michigan.gov prior to the start of the mentorship process. RSEES will email the mentor a link to an online form to complete.
The mentor will be required to approve each of the following criteria for the applicant and also record the date(s) of the class(es) the applicant assisted in teaching on the online form.
When the applicant is proficient in the above, the mentor will complete and submit the online mentor form. RSEES will review the submitted form for approval.
RSEES shall conduct the recertification of all active instructors as needed and provide additional detail prior to the recertification process. Instructors who do not complete the recertification process will be considered as voluntarily resigning from the program and will be removed as an instructor. No further action will be taken by RSEES.
Individuals, whose instructor certification has lapsed for any reason, may apply to become an instructor by following the process outlined in this policy.
INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
An individual desiring certification as a volunteer instructor with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources' recreational safety programs shall meet the following requirements:
WHY VOLUNTEERS ARE NECESSARY
WHAT THE PROGRAM OFFERS THE INSTRUCTORS
THE VALUE RECREATIONAL SAFETY PROGRAMS PROVIDE TO THE PUBLIC