Recreational Safety Education

Recreation Safety Certifications

Information about available safety certifications

  • Boating Safety Certificate

    Boaters born after June 30, 1996 and most personal watercraft operators who operate a vessel in Michigan must have a boater education card (boating safety certificate).

  • Bowhunter Education Certificate

    While bowhunting education is not required in Michigan, it is required to purchase archery permits in many other states.

  • Hunter Safety Certificate (Hunter Education)

    All first-time hunters born on or after Jan. 1, 1960 are required to take and pass a hunter safety course. You will not be able to purchase a base license (other than an apprentice license) unless you can prove successful completion of a hunter safety course.

  • ORV Safety Certificate

    Operators under age 16 riding on public or private land in Michigan must take an approved ORV education course, carry an ORV safety certificate and have direct visual supervision of an adult.

  • Get your snowmobile safety certificate

    A snowmobile safety certificate is recommended for all operators and required for some youth under 16 years.

  • Trapper Education Certificate

    Trapper education is not required in Michigan; however, new trappers are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the educational opportunities of the trapper education courses.